Brooklyn boy, 10, seriously burned after setting self on fire
A 10-year-old East New York boy known for a fascination with flame was in serious condition on Saturday after setting his clothes on fire.
The boy had a known proclivity for playing with fire, police said — his parents had even removed the knobs from their stove as a safety precaution, according to the Daily News.
He is thought to have been playing with candles on Saturday morning at his family’s Bradford Street home before setting his clothes ablaze.
Emergency responders received the call around 7:45 a.m. and the boy was taken to New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he was treated for first-degree and second-degree burns on his upper torso. He is expected to recover.
An investigation is ongoing as officials try to determine whether the boy used an accelerant.
Follow Emily Johnson on Twitter @emilyjreports