Bosnian war crime fugitive faces trial
Bosnian Serb wartime general Ratko Mladic was arrested in Serbia on Thursday after 15 years on the run from international genocide charges, opening the way for the once-pariah state to approach the European mainstream.
Mladic, accused of orchestrating the massacre of 8,000 Muslim men and boys in the town of Srebrenica and a brutal 43-month siege of Sarajevo during Bosnia’s 1992-1995 war, was found in a farmhouse owned by a cousin, a police official said.
“Mladic was handcuffed and whisked away,” said the official, who added that he had been cooperative. The once burly and widely feared general was not disguised, but had false identity papers and looked haggard and much older, he said.
“Hardly anyone could recognize him.”
A friend of the Mladic family said he had been put on a plane to the international war crimes tribunal in The Hague, but Serbia said he was still in its custody.