SEPTA recognizes bus drivers on Appreciation Day
SEPTA on Monday recognized the careers of 18 veteran bus drivers as part of International Bus Driver Appreciation Day.
Michael R. Liberi, SEPTA’s chief surface transportation officer, commended all of the operators for outstanding service to the authority and its customers.
“It is through their efforts that SEPTA is able to maintain a high level of customer service, and meet and surpass our customers’ expectations,” Liberi said in a statement. “They are the faces of SEPTA, and they are appreciated, valued and respected.”
The 18 bus drivers recognized by SEPTA on Monday are:
- Welton Cannon, a 47-year SEPTA veteran, has been recognized with safe operator awards 19 times, and operates on Route 27.
- Johnnie Singleton, a 38-year SEPTA veteran, has been recognized for safe operations 27 times. He also operates on Route 27.
- Terry “Tomato” Bell has been with SEPTA 41 years. He has been recognized 32 times as a safe operator, and was also named the Callowhill District Operator of the Year in 2011. He works on Route 40.
- Robert L. Alexander, a 39-year veteran, was Callowhill’s Operator of the Year in 2012. He’s been recognized for safe operations 35 times, and operates on Route 46.
- George John Borowiec has spent 38 years on the road with SEPTA’s customers. He’s received multiple commendations for safe operations.
- Bernard Eckenrode, a 39-year veteran, has numerous commendations for safe operation and outstanding performance.
- Lawrence Roberson has 31 years at SEPTA. He is a peer mentor at the Elmwood District, and operates on Route 34.
- Aaron Shelton, a 27-year SEPTA veteran, has an outstanding record for safety and performance. He works on Route 11.
- Robert Buggy, with 40 total years of service, has 28 years of recognition for safe operations. He runs the Route 88 bus, and will begin enjoying retirement next year.
- Richard Borowiec, a 40-year veteran, also has 28 years of safety honors. He runs on Route 59.
- Thomas Slaven has 34 years of honors for safe operations. He operates on Route 73.
- John Becker has 34 years’ worth of honors for safe operations. He operates on Route 66.
- David Viglione has 33 years of service with an outstanding safety record. He works on routes 127 and 128.
- David Harris has 26 years of service, with 23 years of safe operations recognition. He can be found operating routes 129, 130 and 133.
- Robert Downer has 43 years of service, with multiple safety recognitions. He works on Route 56.
- Stephen Vaughn, a 35-year SEPTA veteran, has 30 years of safe driving. He is on Route 61.
- Robert Colburn Jr. has 39 years of service, with 31 years of safe driving recognition and numerous accommodations. He operates on Route 64.
- Kevin Baldwin has 41 years of service and the same number of safety awards. He is a yardmaster at Victory District.
SEPTA asked its customers to take some time Monday to thank their bus drivers in recognition of International Bus Driver Appreciation Day, which started in Seattle in 2009.