Queens manhole fires injure five
Five people were injured early Thursday when fire exploded from at least two manholes in the Woodside section of Queens, according to authorities.
The fire also set two cars on fire that were parked on a neighborhood street.
Five residents that lived in one of the homes near the fire were taken to a nearby hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning in their house, a fire department spokesperson said.
A Con Edison spokesperson told WABC that the fire was “a failure of underground delivery equipment.”
A handful of residents lost power on the street but it was restored by 6 a.m. this morning.