Man in wheelchair dies after fire in his Bronx apartment
A handicapped man died of smoke inhalation from a fire in his Bronx apartment building early Saturday, officials said.
The fire broke out just after 6 a.m. in the wheelchair-bound man’s fifth-floor Colden Avenue apartment in Bronxdale.
After authorities arrived, the man was removed from the apartment along with a female relative who lived with him. They were both taken to Jacobi Medical Center for smoke inhalation.
The man, who has not been identified, was pronounced dead at the hospital.
His 54-year-old relative, who has also not been identified, was in critical condition at the hospital.
The cause of the blaze will be determined by the NYC Fire Marshall, but it does not appear suspicious, officials said.
The investigation is ongoing, officials said.
Follow Anna Sanders on Twitter: @AnnaESanders