UPDATED-Contractor indicted, faces murder charges in building collapse
The contractor in June’s deadly building collapse has been indicted and faces six counts of third-degree murder charges, said officials with the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office today.
Griffin T. Campbell also faces six counts of involuntary manslaughter and 13 counts of recklessly endangering another person.
“The grand jury investigation of the collapse of the building at 22nd and Market Streets on June 5, 2013 is not over,” District Attorney Seth Williams said.
Last week, however, the grand jury voted to issue a information against demolition contractor Griffin Campbell, recommending his indictment.
Campbell is expected to turn himself in to Central Detectives Monday afternoon.
“I hope Griffin Campbell’s arrest this afternoon will give the victim’s and their families some sense of relief,” Williams said. “Although I know their pain will never go away.”
Six people died and 13 were injured in the Center City collapse at 22nd and Market streets.
Stay with Metro as more comes in.