Teen admits to witness intimidation in Twitter case
Nasheen Anderson, the 17-year-old who posted information on Twitter about a 2012 Southwest Philadelphia shooting, waived his preliminary hearing today and admitted to witness intimidation and terroristic threat charges in family court, according to the district attorney’s office.
At the same time, a judge denied the commonwealth’s request that Anderson be certified as an adult and the case will remain in juvenile court.
Last month, Anderson was charged with witness intimidation and terroristic threats for the social media posts.
“The actions of this teenager could have lasting repercussions on untold cases here in Philadelphia,” District Attorney Seth Williams said last month. “Witness intimidation has reached near epidemic levels and we are very serious about not only stopping it, but also prosecuting the criminals who are engaging in these despicable actions to fullest extent of the law. I don’t care how old you are, if you intimidate a witness in this city I’m going to come after you.”
Anderson’s next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 16 where he will be sentenced, the DA’s office said.