Carbon monoxide blamed for house explosion in Center City
A Center City home exploded overnight Thursday, according to several reports, and officials are blaming the incident on a severe carbon monoxide leak.
Firefighters responded to the 2300 block of Naudain Street in Fitler Square shortly after 2 a.m. after a neighbor who allegedly smelled fumes called 911. Residents had been evacuated and many told officials they too smelled fumes.
The house exploded around 4 a.m., about an hour after PGW was called. A fire broke out and the building collapsed, reports say. The three-alarm fire was quickly placed under control.
Reports say one woman is being treated at a nearby hospital for minor injuries.
Those displaced were taken to a Red Cross station at the High School for Creative and Performing Arts on South Broad Street by a SEPTA bus.