Darrelle Revis upset with lack of answers from Jets
For a team that seems to talk constantly, they apparently haven’t given Darrelle Revis the answers he wants.
The star cornerback conducted an interview with NFL Network Monday night in which he said he was frustrated with the lack of answers he’s received from the team in the wake of trade rumors.
“I know it’s a business; just call me, don’t have it lingering out there,” Revis told the network. “I need answers and I’m not getting any. Just the fact that that was put out there instead of contacting your best player on the team. If that’s how you want to do business, then that’s fine.”
Revis is still rehabbing from a torn ACL suffered in Week 3 against the Dolphins. He is expected to be ready for training camp in the fall. NFL Network is documenting Revis’s return from injury for a TV special.
The team hasn’t expressly said they are interested in trading the former All-Pro, but rumors have floated since the season ended with a disappointing 6-10 record. Revis has just one year remaining on his contract at a base salary of $13.77 million. The team is stuck in the position of debating whether they want to extend a player coming off a major injury or trade him in order to rebuild a floundering franchise.
“If I do get traded I’m not going to sit here and pout and cry,” Revis said in the interview. “But I’ve told them numerous times that I want to be here, so it’s up to them and management what they want to do.”
New general manager John Idzik wouldn’t answer the question of whether the team would explore trading Revis at his introductory press conference, saying it was too soon for such speculation. Idzik has reportedly contacted Revis since the interview was recorded Monday morning.
The Jets are already dealing with salary cap issues. As previously reported by Metro, they will release veterans Bart Scott and Calvin Pace in order to free up some money. They will likely have to release more players as well. Revis is reportedly looking for a contract in the neighborhood of defensive end Mario Williams’s six-year, $96 million deal the Bills gave him last offseason. That contract was the richest ever given to a defensive player.
Follow Metro New York Sports Editor Mark Osborne on Twitter @MetroNYSports.