Former Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine won’t get TV gig on TBS due to 9/11 comments
Bobby Valentine wasn’t able to get the Red Sox close to the playoffs last season. This season Bobby V. will once again be watching the MLB postseason from the comfort of his easy chair.
Newsday media reporter Neil Best reported Thursday that TBS had originally planned for Valentine to be part of their postseason coverage but his comments earlier this month regarding the New York Yankees’ lack of help following the 9/11 attacks on New York City in 2001 made Turner Sports go in a different direction.
“Let it be said that during the time from 9/11 to 9/21, the Yankees were (not around),” Valentine, who was the manager of the Mets at the time of the attacks, told WFAN on the 12th anniversary of the attacks. “Many of them didn’t live here and so it wasn’t their fault. And many of them did not partake in all that, so there was some of that jealousy going around. Like, ‘Why are we so tired? Why are we wasted? Why have we been to funerals and firehouses and the Yankees are getting all the credit for bringing baseball back?’ And I said, ‘This isn’t about credit, guys. This is about doing the right thing.”
The TBS studio team will now be comprised of Keith Olbermann, former Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez and baseball writer Tom Verducci.
“Bobby was one of a number of candidates being considered for the role, but we elected to go with the team of Keith, Pedro and Tom and we’re very excited about that combination in-studio for us,” a Turner Sports spokesman told Newsday.
Follow Metro Boston sports editor Matt Burke on Twitter @BurkeMetroBOS