Jalen Saunders had been impressive before the odd car accident last weekend. Credit: Getty Images
Jalen Saunders is back, even if mystery still surrounds a seizure he suffered two weeks ago that has kept him out of preseason games against the Bengals and Giants.
Without going into details, head coach Rex Ryan revealed on Monday in his press conference that Saunders suffered a seizure two weeks ago en route to the team's facility. He practiced on Monday for the first time since he drove off the road and had to be transported to the hospital.
“I've been feeling better, you know? What happened, that's what happened I guess. I'm not going to try to relive that moment I guess,” Saunders said. “I felt 100 percent and I'm glad I'm back on the field. I'm blessed to be alive.”
There is no family history of seizures according to Saunders and he hasn't been told playing football will have an impact on his health. But there have been no assurances that a seizure won't happen again.
“I'm not God, can't just plan out my life or whatnot,” Saunders said. “I don't know the causes for it.”
He will practice this week and play in the preseason finale on Thursday.
A fourth-round pick out of Oklahoma, Saunders is a speedy wide receiver with playmaking ability. He hails from California and said his family was following his health and well-being.
“They're very worried. Everybody is worried that loves me,” Saunders said. “It's something that took place. I was scared myself and my family of course. It's something that is very, very scary in my life. But other than that, as I said, just blessed to be out there I guess you can say.”
He said after initially being told by doctors he can't drive that he is now able to get behind the wheel again.