Quantcast
Back Bay fire caused by tossed cigarette - Metro US

Back Bay fire caused by tossed cigarette

Flames and smoke from a roof fire at 182 Beacon Street could be seen for blocks. (Photo courtesy Boston Fire Department.) Flames and smoke from a roof fire at 182 Beacon St. could be seen for blocks. Credit: Boston Fire Department

A fire that caused $1 million in damage to a Back Bay condo building Monday afternoon was caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette, the fire department said Tuesday.

The fire broke out on the wooden roof deck on top of the six-story building at 182 Beacon St. just before 6 p.m.

A carelessly disposed cigarette was left in a flower pot that was apparently used as an ash tray, said Steve MacDonald, a fire department spokesman. The cigarette helped ignite the dry material in the flower pot and eventually the one-alarm fire.

There were no injuries reported from the fire. Water poured on the rooftop fire traveled down to the floors below and damaged some of the 14 condo units, the fire department said.

Follow Michael Naughton on Twitter @metrobosmike

More from our Sister Sites