Blast at Christmas market deemed an accident - Metro US

Blast at Christmas market deemed an accident

Vancouver’s inaugural German-style Christmas market was rocked by an explosion and flames only minutes before its scheduled opening yesterday.

“The fire was caused by a contractor who was drilling a hole though the wall of a hut,” said Capt. Gabe Roder of the Vancouver Fire Department. “The man unknowingly drilled right into a 100-pound propane tank.”

One woman sustained injuries while fleeing the site and was treated in at St. Paul’s Hospital.

Laura Ballance, spokeswoman for the market, which is located at the plaza outside the Queen Elizabeth Theatre, said it hopes to reopen early next week, even as early as this weekend if the necessary electrical parts arrive in time.

More from our Sister Sites