Choose Your City
Change City

Driver charged in hit-and-run death in Chelsea, after having fled U.S.

Suffolk County prosecutors say Jose Daniel Arevalo fled to El Salvador then returned to the U.S., after the June fatal collision.
Google Commons

Jose Daniel Arevalo fled the United States last June, two days after he fled from a Chelsea street where his car struck and and killed a pedestrian, prosecutors say.

Arevalo, 34, made his way to El Salvador but eventually returned to the U.S. and was arrested earlier this month in Texas.

On Monday, Arevalo pleaded not guilty in Chelsea District Court to charges of motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene of a collision causing death, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.

Judge Ina Howard-Hogan ordered Arevalo, of Everett, held on $150,000 bail. In the event he is released on bail, the judge also ordered Arevalo wear a GPS monitor, submit to home confinement and to surrender his passport.


Authorities said Arevalo was behind the wheel of his Toyota Camry at 10:15 p.m. on June 4, when he hit 25-year-old Marco Salguero-Cruz in the area of 284 Washington Street. investigators said.

Salguero-Cruz was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital in Chelsea, where he died.

State and local police then began a complex investigation to identify the driver.

Officials looked through footage from multiple surveillance cameras near the scene, which captured the crash. Investigators recovered previously-deleted footage from a private security camera that showed the driver allegedly involved in the fatal collision.

In late November, investigators appealed to the public for help, releasing the enhanced images of the man behind the wheel. A day later, someone contacted authorities to identify Arevalo. Investigators also independently identified him through social media, state records and witness statements, prosecutors said.

He was located in Texas, after having returned to the United States. On Dec. 2, he was apprehended with the assistance of Texas Rangers, and on Saturday, authorities returned him to Massachusetts.