This year, the New England Patriots have not only proven themselves as the best football team in the nation, a few of the players have scored points for their fashion sense.
Julian Edelman, the team's 28-year-old wide receiver, came in first place on a list of the city’s 50 most fashion-forward celebrities. Edelman caught the fashion site’s attention after rocking his Grammy presentation last week.
“We wanted to get behind a Bostonian that was on the rise,“ US Trendy founder Sam Sisakhti said of the bearded Pat. ”Considering the Super Bowl win, he is someone who is really getting out there and representing Boston. Also, he takes risks. He has a very versatile style.“
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 36 Pictures
The Boston-based website helps designers make a name for themselves in the fashion industry.
This is the third year the company has put out “Boston's 50 Most Fashionable” list. The site, which sells attire from 25 designers, was recently named by Internet Retailer as one of the top five fastest growing e-tailers and among the top 10 social media marketers out of 500 online retailers.
Edelman’s gridiron partner, QB Tom Brady came in 7th place – up from 27th place in 2014. Edelman even outdistanced Brady’s wife, Brazilian-born former top model Gisele Bundchen, who was only the third most fashionable Beantowner this year.
The list isn't a “best dressed” roundup, Sisakhti said, but rather focuses on the Bostonian's influence on fashion.
Orange is the New Black’s Taylor Schilling took second place, middle-aged man on the block Donnie Wahlberg took fourth place, and television personality Maria Johnson finished fifth.
Bundchen is down from second place last year. Schilling, a Boston native, stole the spot because of her red carpet ensembles, Sisakhti said.
“Taylor is just killing it on all the red carpets. She is a fresh face out there. Her look is minimalistic, but she always has a polished, feminine look,” he said.
Her co-star, Medfield native Uzo Aduba a.k.a Crazy Eyes, nabbed 11th place.
Boston hasn’t always had a reputation for its fashion sense. In 2011, GQ Magazine called out the city as the worst dressed in the nation. But since then, Boston has managed to up its fashion game.
“I’ve been getting asked less and less why I am in Boston,” said Sisakhti, who in the past has been ridiculed for being a fashion professional working in a notoriously unfashionable city.
“So I can kind of gage where we stand based on that. Another interesting thing that is happening – a lot more movies are being filmed in Boston. As a result, a lot more celebrities are coming through as well, and shopping on Newbury Street. For sure, there are more and more fashion companies starting,“ he said.
Boston's Lauren Antos of Lily and Migs, a designer for US Trendy, says Boston should be cut some slack considering that the dismal weather conditions don't exactly lend themselves to haute outfits.
“We've had 90 inches of snow. For most people, sweat pants are the clothing of choice,” said Antos, whose company offers comfortable chic women's wear.
“But the city has evolved. Now there are so many avenues for local designers and fashionistas in Boston,” said Antos.
This spring, the city can look forward to trends that include jumpers, rompers with loud floral and geometrical prints, Sisakhti said.
“We’re noticing a lot of loud boisterous prints for the spring, and funky patterns seem to be popular,” said Sisakhti.
Antos says fashion lovers can keep their eyes peeled for Gingham checkered prints for both men and women.
“And the BoHo looks is still going around,” says Anthos.
Considering all these snow boots and bundling up, aren't we just so excited for spring fashion?
US Trendy's Top 50 Most Fashionable
1. Julian Edelman, Patriots
2. Taylor Schilling, Actress
3. Gisele Bündchen, Model
4. Donnie Wahlberg, Actor
5. Maria Menounous, TV Personality
6. Jenny Johnson, TV Personality
7. Tom Brady, Patriots
8. Billy Costa, Kiss 108
9. Kayna Whitworth, WHDH
10. Ramiro, JAM’N 94.5
11. Uzo Aduba, Actress
12. Jenny Slate, Comedian
13. Mark Wahlberg, Actor
14. Jay Calderin, Boston Fashion Week
15. Greg Selkoe, Karmaloop
16. Polikseni Manxhari, Miss MA
17. Chris Evans, Actor
18. Rob Gronkowski, Patriots
19. Bianca de la Garza, Lucky Gal Productions
20. Lisa Donovan, Kiss 108
21. Steven Tyler, Musician
22. Courtney Hollands, Boston Magazine
23. Christina Pierce, Christina Pierce Fashion Agency
24. Dane Cook, Comedian
25. Pebbles, HOT 96.9
26. Amanda Soucy, Patriots Cheerleader
27. Kelly Brabants, Booty By Brabants
28. Windsor Hanger Western, Her Campus
29. Dave Portnoy, Barstool Sports
30. Lydia Santangelo, Stylist
31. Jonathan Soroff, Improper Bostonian
32. Guerin Austin, Bruins Reporter
33. Lisa Pierpont, Boston Common
34. Carolyn Kim, Good Ones
35. Danielle Vollmar, Channel 5
36. Dawn Kingston, Photographer
37. Joe Breezy, AMP RADIO 103.3
38. Maria Stephanos, Fox 25
39. Ace Gershfield, 6one7
40. Katie Boyd, Miss Fit Club
41. Tyrese Onayemmi, Swag Soul & VipHoststar
42. Manny and George Sarkis, Boston Brothers Promotions
43. Joe Freeman, Dynasty Models
44. Christopher Muther, Boston Globe
45. Matthew Markey, Maggie
46. Santi, JAM’N 94.5
47. Kathy Benharris, The Boston Fashion Meetup Group
48. Erica Corsano, Boston Herald
49. Kendra Petrone, Kiss 108
50. Caroline Lunny, Former Miss MA