Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Fire officials: Snow and ice caused Georgetown gas leak

No one was injured due to the leak.Metro file

A serious gas leak that prompted the evacuation of a large apartment building in Georgetown was caused by snow and ice, according to authorities.

Georgetown Fire Department said the build-up of water run-off from melting snow weighed down on a gas meter manifold, causing it to snap under the surface of the dirt.

The leak prompted the evacuation of the apartment building – home to about 120 people – around 11 a.m. Monday. The building was part of the Longview Apartments complex.

National Grid crews arrived within a half-hour and had the gas shut off within 10 minutes of their arrival.

RelatedArticles

By 11:40 .m., firefighters had re-checked the gas vapor levels in the building and residents were allowed to return.

“Thankfully, due to the time of day, a building that would normally contain 120 or more people only had a few dozen residents home at the time,” Chief Albert B. Beardsley said in a statement released Tuesday. “We were able to work with our neighboring fire departments to conduct an orderly evacuation, while crews ventilated the building.”

 
 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles