Home
 
Choose Your City
Change City

Hernandez trial could take two months

Aaron Hernandez chats with his defense attorneys in court last yearBrian Snyder/Reuters

The murder trial of former Patriots star Aaron Hernandez could last between six and ten weeks, prosecutors said Monday.

Hernandez, who has already pleaded not guilty to the June 2013 slaying of Odin Lloyd, was back in Bristol County Superior Court for a pretrial hearing on Monday.

Jury selection is slated to start Jan. 9

Earlier this month, a judge ruled that the jury will not hear of the last text messages that Lloyd sent to his sister, or details of another dual murder that hernandez is charged with, Reuters reported. Prosecutors had argued Lloyd's last text messages showed he believed he was in danger as he rode in a car with New England Patriots' tight end Hernandez after being summoned to the ball players’s house late one night in June 2013.

RelatedArticles

They had also planned to argue at the trial that Hernandez had told Lloyd about a prior shooting incident, Reuters reported.

Hernandez was one of the top tight ends in the National Football League. He had a $41 million contract when he was arrested last year and charged with murdering Lloyd in an industrial park near North Attleborough, Massachusetts.

Hernandez is also charged with the 2012 slayings of two men outside a Boston nightclub following a dispute over a spilled drink.

He has pleaded not guilty to those 2012 crimes as well.

 
Consider AlsoFurther Articles