Chaos erupted at Revere Beach on Sunday evening when a brawl broke out on the beach.<

State and Revere police will step up their patrols of the Revere Beach following a massive brawl there on Mother’s Day evening.

The increase in police presence will include undercover officers and uniformed patrols along with K-9 units in the early morning and early evening hours. The increase begins this Friday and will continue on all warm weekend nights up until Memorial Day, when officers will be on patrol every weekend throughout the summer.

State police said officers will focus on serious crimes as well as quality-of-life issues that might be a disturbance to beach goers and businesses. They will have an eye out for large disorderly groups, gang activity, illicit drug use, underage drinking, excessive alcohol consumption causing disorderly behavior, fighting and motor vehicle offenses including impaired and distracted driving as well as racing.

Specifically, Revere Police Chief Joseph Cafarelli said that officers will monitor Shirley Avenue, Beach Street, and Revere Street neighborhoods that border America’s first public beach. Here, they will be on the lookout for disorderly groups, gang activity and other disturbances. State Police are also coordinating efforts and shared intelligence with MBTA Police who patrol the Wonderland, Revere Beach and Beachmont Stations.


“We will undertake a comprehensive and coordinated effort with our law enforcement partners to ensure that anyone who wants to use the beach peacefully this summer can do so without fear of unruly groups and criminal activity,” Major Arthur Sugrue, commander of Troop A of the Massachusetts State Police said on the State Police news blog. “Everyone is welcome to enjoy all our state beaches and reservations, but must do so lawfully and with respect for the rights of others around them.”

Nine people were arrested following a chaotic slugfest with more than 100 people involved. According to The State Police, five females and four males were arrested, all of whom are juveniles. Cornelius Jackson, 24, of Dorchester was arraigned in Chelsea District Court on trespassing, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, furnishing a false name and interfering with the arrest of a juvenile. When Jackson was arrested, he allegedly resisted and tried to kick out the window of a State Police cruiser. While being booked, police said he gave a fake name and date of birth.

Reports indicate that over 300 people gathered around the fight, making police intervention a difficult task. Officers from Everett, Chelsea, T Police, Boston, and Winthrop responded for crowd control.