|Boston Fire Department1/4 |Boston Fire Department
|Boston Fire Department2/4 |Boston Fire Department
|Boston Fire Department3/4 |Boston Fire Department
|Boston Fire Department4/4 |Boston Fire Department
A fire that displaced up to 20 people in a multi-family home in Charlestown was caused by an electric short-circuit in the building’s ground floor Laundromat, according to investigators.
Fire officials told local news media that Friday’s blaze began in the ceiling of Monument Laundromat, at 144 Bunker Hill St.
The 6:45 a.m. fire on a particularly frigid morning in Boston sent fire trucks racing to the scene. Thick smoke billowed from the windows of the three-story home, and immediately formed on fire trucks and ladders. Temperatures were a bone-chilling 2 degrees that morning.
- Labrador retriever fetches top U.S. dog breed honor for record 28th year7 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures
The American Red Cross was on scene to assist displaced residents, at first believed to be six but later determined to be as many as 20. No one was injured.
Monument Laundromat had a cameo appearance in the Boston-based thriller "The Town," starring Ben Affleck.
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh was also on the scene at the time firefighters were battling the blaze.