The Boston Uber driver accused of assaulting a 21-year-old woman in his car in 2015 has been convicted.
Abderrahim Dakiri, 31, of East Boston, who had been charged with indecent assault and battery, waived his right to a jury trial, Suffolk District Attorney Dan Conley announced Tuesday. He was found guilty of assault and battery, a lesser charge.
A judge sentenced him to two years of probation, according to the district attorney's office. He has also been ordered to stay away from his victim.
According to prosecutors, Dakiri was working with the ride-hailing service when he gave his victim and a few of her friends a ride in the early hours of Feb. 8, 2015.
After dropping off the woman’s friends on Tremont Street, Dakiri “placed his hands on her against her wishes and despite her protests,” prosecutors said.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
She fled the vehicle near Endicott Street and sought help from a passerby.
Police later used the woman’s phone and “additional information from Uber” to identify Dakiri as her assailant, and arrested him that same day, prosecutors said.
“Suffolk prosecutors and Boston Police are part of an extensive support network for sexual assault victims,” Conley said in a statement. “No matter who you are, you can feel safe coming to us for help and services.”
Uber responded to the incident in a statement to the Boston Globe: “This incident was unacceptable. We immediately removed the driver from the Uber platform when we learned of it. Our thoughts are with the victim of this crime and our heart goes out to her.”
The victim in this case is among two who are suing the ride-hailing company over its hiring practices, according to the Globe.