Kneeland Street in downtown Boston this morning.Nicolaus Czarnecki

The storm that has dumped more than a foot of snow in some areas of eastern Massachusetts is not done with New England, according to the National Weather Service, which has predicted heavy snowfall and high winds to continue for most of Tuesday.

The service, in a forecast released at 10 a.m. Tuesday, said the storm could dump eight to 15 more inches of snow on eastern New England. High winds in the 30 to 40 miles per hour range with gusts topping 50 miles per hour are expected to continue throughout the eastern part of the state, according to that forecast.

The statewide travel ban, which was ordered by Gov. Charlie Baker and began midnight Monday, remains in effect. Non-emergency personnel are being encouraged to stay off the roads. Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said the city saw no major storm-related incidents during the overnight. The MBTA continues to be shut down for the day. Dozens of flights flying into or out of Logan have been cancelled.

More than 26,000 utility customers have lost power in the state. Most of the power outages have occurred along the shoreline, including the South Shore, South Coast and Cape Cod.


Central Square in Cambridge late Tuesday morning was a ghost town. Most of the stores were closed. A single man could be seen cross country skiing across Mass Ave. The only cars on the road were public works plow trucks, their beds loaded down with either sand or salt or piles of chunky snow.

Drifts on the sidewalk were thigh deep. Some cars were covered, their windshield wipers poking through a blanket of several inches. A few hearty residents heaved snow from the sidewalks into the middle of the road or from their driveways onto the sidewalks.

Adrian Mott’s office was closed because of the weather and he expected to spend hours clearing his driveway and shoveling his Subaru Forester out.

“There’s a lot of snow, man,” said the 33-year-old Cambridge resident who works in marketing for a software startup. “I actually thought there’d be more. It’s still going though. Maybe I should have waited, but I just thought might as well start now. It’s going to get worse, and if there’s another foot on the ground shoveling is going to be even worse than this.”

His dog, Millie, a lab-Rottweiler mix, was frolicking in the snow, jumping up on passersby and playing with teens who were shoveling a car out down the block.

“It’s kind of nice with the travel ban, you can let the dog out to run around and don’t have to worry about the cars,” he said.

The snow continued to fall – the kind of dry, swirling snow that makes visibility difficult when you’re walking against the wind. Those who braved the elements walked hunched over, with their heads facing the ground. Some walked in the middle of the road, which had less snow than sections of the sidewalk and no cars.

Tite’s Tropical Convenience Store on Norfolk Street was one of the few local shops to remain open.

George Mouroulis, whose parents own the building that houses the bodega, had been shoveling since around 9 a.m.

“I’m exhausted, but I got Jameson (whisky) upstairs so I’m good. True story. I’m going to be doing this all day. Nonstop. Or at least until that Jameson’s gone,” said Mouroulis, a 28-year-old Cambridge resident who works as a server in the Seaport .

He shrugged.

“We expected it. It’s New England and we’ve been lucky so far this winter.”

The clerk inside Trite’s, who declined to give his name, said he had four customers since the morning. He said he planned on closing up around 3 p.m. Asked why he bothered to open, he responded “What else am I going to do, sit in my apartment?”.

Maggie Feldman and Betty Lo, both 27-year-old cooks at State Park in Cambridge, walked through the square loaded down with fresh fruit, chips and fries they had just bought at H-Mart.

“I can’t believe that place is open!” said Lo.

The storm stranded Lo Monday night. She lives in Teele Square in Somerville – about three miles away from her work. She opted to stay at a co-worker’s after their shift ended at 10 rather than trudge home in the blizzard. They planned on sledding with co-workers who had been called out later in the day on Tuesday.

“I feel like the aftermath is always worse,” said Lo. “You get snow banks as big as me. You have the slush.”

Feldman, who originally hails from St. Louis, is still getting used to Nor’easters.

“They have snowstorms back home,” she said. “But I don’t remember them being this intense.”

Latest From ...