• 1 tbsp (25 ml) butter
• 3 1/4 cups (800 ml) button mushrooms, halved
• 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) cream cheese
• 2/3 cup (150 ml) 1% milk
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) hot English or Dijon mustard
• 3 1/3 cups (825 ml) diced cooked chicken
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) snipped fresh chives
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 sheet pre-made puff pastry
1. Put baking tray in oven and preheat to 400 F (200 C).
2. Melt butter in large frying pan over moderately low heat. Add mushrooms and gently cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 4–5 minutes.
3. Put cream cheese in large bowl and lightly beat until softened.
4. Reserve 1 1/2 tbsp (20 ml) milk; pour rest into bowl with cream cheese along with mustard. Stir into thick sauce.
5. Add chicken, chives and mushrooms with juices to creamy sauce. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then spoon mixture into 4-cup pie dish. Place pie funnel or upturned ovenproof china egg cup, in middle of filling to support pastry lid.
6. Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface until about 2 in. (5 cm) larger all round than pie dish. Cut off 1 1/4-in. (3-cm) strip around the edge of pastry sheet, then press this strip onto rim of pie dish. Lightly brush with water, then lay pastry lid on top, pressing edges together to seal.
7. Trim excess pastry, pinch to seal, then flake the edges: Hold sharp knife horizontally to side of pastry edge and make shallow cuts all around. Re-roll pastry trimmings and cut out leaf shapes to decorate and stick onto the pastry lid with a little reserved milk. Glaze all over with remaining milk and cut two slits in top for steam.
8. Place pie dish on hot baking tray and bake 25–30 minutes, or until pastry is nicely puffed and golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving, sprinkled with pepper.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca