Quantcast
Connelly combats Memorial shutdown - Metro US

Connelly combats Memorial shutdown

It’s all in the numbers, according to a city alderman who is putting forward a motion to halt the impending closure of Memorial Drive later this summer for a one-day festival.

Ward 6 Ald. Joe Connelly is trying to add his motion to urgent business for today’s meeting that, if passed, would ensure Memorial Drive would not be shut down for the Bow River Flow event on Aug. 22.

“Just look at the numbers: on a Sunday there’s 10,000 drivers using Memorial and last year only 200 people went to the festival. That’s only two per cent — it doesn’t make sense,” Connelly said.

“It’s just ridiculous to inconvenience that many people.”

Connelly is trying to get the motion on the agenda for today.

If he fails it will have to wait until July 19, but Ald. Brian Pincott thinks it’s a silly idea.

“We close many roads across the city for different community events and this should be no different. I went last year and it was a great event and I expect this year to be even better,” Pincott said.

More from our Sister Sites