Cuomo orders Con Ed investigation after Sunday’s subway snafu - Metro US

Cuomo orders Con Ed investigation after Sunday’s subway snafu

Cuomo orders Con Ed investigation after Sunday’s power failure in Brooklyn caused a subway snafu.

It was so much of a Sunday of hell for New Yorkers that Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered an immediate investigation into a Con Edison power outage in Brooklyn that incapacitated a large portion of the city’s subway system Sunday afternoon. 

Additionally, three buildings in the Red Hook Houses, the borough’s largest public housing complex, lost power when a transformer near Jay Street failed at around 1 p.m.

Service between Brooklyn and Manhattan was suspended in both directions while Con Ed crews investigated, leaving many straphangers stuck on trains and trying to find alternate routes to the A, C, E, F and G train lines.

Rider Micah Bergdale tweeted a photo from 145th Street, which he said was “complete chaos.”

This writer was on a D train that was running local from 145th Street for more than an hour trying to get to 14th Street, and spent more than 20 minutes stuck between 72nd Street and 59th Street. The conductor immediately informed riders that the delay was caused by a power failure at Jay Street-MetroTech.

Cuomo called the power failure “unacceptable” and said that Con Ed “must be held accountable for the multitude of issues with their infrastructure that are too frequently impacting the lives of millions of New Yorkers,” in a statement. “I am directing the Department of Public Service to conduct an immediate top-to-bottom investigation into today’s incident – the status quo cannot continue.”

In a statement on its website at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday, Con Ed said only that the outage was caused by an “electric transmission disturbance” and that crews reported damage to electrical equipment in an area substation.

When reached for comment Monday, Con Ed spokesperson Allan Drury told Metro that the agency is still investigating the cause of the “power problem.”

Drury added that two of the three Red Hook Houses buildings have had power restored, while the third is “on generation” and “no customers to my knowledge were affected.” There is no ETA for when the third building will be fully restored to nongenerator power.

According to The New York Times, city officials said that one resident who is on life support was affected by the power issue.

Sunday’s incident occurred just three days after massive delays wrecked havoc on the Thursday morning commute in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens due to track debris and switch and power problems. 

More from our Sister Sites