Three families are trying to deal with the loss of loved ones after three Calgarians fell victim to a house fire at the end of January.
“It’s very sad and it’s hard on firefighters,” said Deputy Chief Brad Lorne.
“Because we all know early detection provides the best opportunity to get out before anyone is injured.”
Now the landlord faces charges for not providing a safe living environment and questions are being asked about who is responsible for what.
“You don’t know, do they actually know what they are responsible for?” asked one university student and renter.
Fire officials said renting a home or suite is like owning a business and comes with many responsibilities, all of which can be found in the building and fire codes — the most basic of which includes providing a working smoke detector and having windows with no bars which open easily from the inside.
But it’s not just up to landlords to provide safety, tenants also need to take responsibility. Officials say they should develop and practice an emergency escape plan in case the worst should happen.