A 24-year-old man who was murdered in a drive-by shooting in Burnaby last year was an innocent victim killed in a case of mistaken identity, police have announced.
Nine months after Jonathan Barber was killed in a “hail of gunfire” while driving down Kingsway, police confirmed the shooters meant to hit one of the Bacon brothers.
Police say the three brothers, who are from Abbotsford, have long been suspected of being tied to the Red Scorpion gang.
On Friday, Barber’s parents appealed for anyone with information about the shooting to call police.
Michael Barber said losing his son was devastating and he wants his killers found so they can’t hurt anyone else.
Mary Barber, said her son was killed on Mother’s Day weekend, and the holiday will never be the same.
“Barber installed vehicle electronics for extra money and was in the process of taking delivery of a vehicle for some installations,” said RCMP Cpl. Dale Carr.
He had just picked up a black Porsche Cayenne and was driving it home when he was killed. His girlfriend, who was driving in a separate car, was seriously hurt.
Carr said the SUV has “conclusive links” to the Bacon family.
“At this point of the investigation, police have yet to arrest anyone responsible for the murder … and attempted murder,” he said.
“There are individuals that have crucial information regarding this investigation. These people are choosing not to come forward to police.”