Dryer lint to blame for Mission Hill fire - Metro US

Dryer lint to blame for Mission Hill fire

Dozens of people were displaced from their homes yesterday because of a clothes dryer that sparked a fast-moving 5-alarm fire in Mission Hill.

“A build up of lint” in a dryer on the second floor of 37 Calumet St. led to the blaze, the fire department said.

One woman was taken to a hospital for some inhalation and firefighters had to kick in a door and rescue a woman trapped inside after the fire broke out about 12:45 a.m. Sunday.

It took about 130 firefighters hours to put out the blaze. They smashed windows in neighboring buildings to try to put out the fire from various sides.

Sixty people were initially displaced from homes on nearby Wait Street because water run off spilled in to those buildings.

Fire officials estimated the damage from the fire at $1.2 million.

More from our Sister Sites