1. ‘Premium Rush’ — “The Dark Knight Rises” co-star Joseph Gordon-Levitt takes center stage in this high-energy thriller about a bike messenger who finds he’s carrying a package that everyone seems to want.
2. ‘The Apparition’ — With the arrival of late August comes the first horror films we’ve seen since the thaw of winter. In this one, “Twilight” star Ashley Greene plays a student setting out to prove that the mind can conjure a ghost. She’s successful at doing that, unfortunately for her.
3. ‘Hit and Run’ — Real-life couple Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell star in this film about a reformed criminal whose bank-robbing buddies return to settle a debt.
4. ‘The Expendables 2’ — Sylvester Stallone once again leads an all-star cast of some of the biggest action stars around in this testosterone-fueled romp about a group of world-class mercenaries.
5. ‘ParaNorman’ — In the tradition of quirky supernatural children’s films comes “ParaNorman,” a stop-motion flick about a boy who is tasked with saving his town from an undead uprising.
6. ‘Sparkle’ — This film stars Whitney Houston — in her last performance on the big screen — as Emma, a single mother raising Sparkle (Jordin Sparks) and two other daughters who dream of stardom as a singing trio.
7. ‘The Bourne Legacy’ — The “Bourne” franchise gets another installment featuring budding action star Jeremy Renner.
8. ‘The Campaign’ — Incumbent North Carolina Congressman Cam Brady (Will Ferrell) receives a challenge from corporate puppet Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis) for re-election.
9. ‘Hope Springs’ — This dramedy stars Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones as empty-nesters struggling to find intimacy in their marriage.
10. ‘Total Recall’ — Douglas Quaid uses Rekall to escape his mundane life, but the procedure malfunctions and Quaid begins to question what is real and what is illusion.