It's been a long 16 years since Dr. Dre released a studio album, but the rapper is making a comeback with the "Straight Outta Compton" soundtrack, out now. The N.W.A. biopic sheds light on the 1980s hip-hop scene in Compton, California and the interrelationships between the N.W.A. members. Since this movie is all about the music, the soundtrack plays a huge part. Here are three things you might not know about it:
1. Apple Music got the exclusive. Apple Music has been scoring some big wins lately, and getting the "Straight Outta Compton" soundtrack before anyone else was another point for their scoreboard. Apple Music subscribers got to stream the album first, 24 hours before it was released for purchase. One day might not seem like a terribly exciting amount of time to get an advanced listening experiece, but when Dr. Dre is involved and it's been a decade and a half since his last album, getting the first streaming rights is a big deal.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- UPDATE: Looking back at Lil' Kim's style through the years 40 Pictures
2. It has A-list contributors. Eminem, Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg and Kendrick Lamar are all featured on the soundtrack. While the album overall is being praised by the press and fans, "Medicine Man," featuring Eminem, is getting slammed for its controversial lyrics referencing rape. "I even make the b----es rape c-m," he raps on the track.
3. Dr. Dre gets political. Throughout various songs on the album, Dr. Dre takes on various social and political issues including racism and underpaying teachers. It's as if he's been sitting back studying culture, waiting for his moment to comment. The moment has come.