Gymnast Aly Raisman, who captured gold at last year’s Summer Olympics before catapulting into a stint on “Dancing with the Stars,” says there’s no unfair advantage that gymnasts and other athletes have over other contestants on the hit ABC show.
“Dancing is so different than doing floor routine — your priority [there] is tumbling, and then out there it’s dancing with your partner and being in sync with them,” says the pintsize powerhouse, who was on hand to open the 92 St. Y’s new skyline gymnastics studio in New York on Sunday. “Gymnastics has nothing to do with cha cha, rumba or samba — it’s like the exact opposite.”
And just because she’s an athlete doesn’t mean she’s not a klutz like the rest of us. “People think we’re coordinated because we twist, we do all this stuff, but we’re really not,” she adds. “We just trip and fall all the time, we’re so clumsy sometimes.”
Raisman says she has been following this season, watching it on YouTube because she’s practicing when it airs at night. She’s mum on which celebs she thinks will make it to the finals, but there is one pro whom she’s confident could capture this year’s Mirror Ball trophy.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Looking back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- What you need to know about MTV's 'How Far Is Tattoo Far?' 9 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
“I feel like Derek [Hough] is in his own league — he’s amazing,” she says. “He’s won three times and he’s been in the finals a bunch of times, so I think he’s definitely one to watch.”