|Alex Cearns1/3 |Alex Cearns
|Alex Cearns2/3 |Alex Cearns
|Alex Cearns3/3 |Alex Cearns
This smiling sun bear loves the camera.
Wildlife photographer Alex Cearns snapped the frolicking cub, who is just 6 months old, at the Free the Bears (FTB) Cambodian Sanctuary. The baby bear is named after the “Game of Thrones” character Arya Stark because of her strong and feisty personality.
“Spending time with rescued cub Arya Stark was an absolute joy. She was so tiny and vulnerable yet curious to explore everything around her. During her photo shoot it really hit me.” Cearnssaid.
- Labrador retriever fetches top U.S. dog breed honor for record 28th year7 Pictures
- Oscars 2019: Red carpet looks and full list of winners36 Pictures
Sun Bear facts
- Smallest bear. The sun bear — aka the honey bear because of its love of honey — is the smallest and one of the rarest of all the bear species.
- Habitat. Southeast Asian tropical forests, including tropical evergreen rainforest, montane forest and swamp habitat.
- Markings. The sun bear (Helarctos malayanus) can be clearly distinguished from other bears by a white or yellowish patch on its chest.
By the numbers
- 30 percent decline in the global population of sun bears over the past three bear generations.
- 47-59inches is the average length of a sun bear.
- 77 - 176poundsis the weight of a sun bear.