During every Fringe Festival since its inception in 1997, there are late-night cabarets, both officially sanctioned and renegade. Scott Johnston, Peekaboo Revue’s captain and member of The Roddenberries, Philly’s “Star Trek” tribute band, has run cabarets both ways, and this year’s no different with the newFringeArts hub hosting its own festivities. “2014 is our seventh year operating a cabaret independent from FringeArts’ official resources,” says Johnston. “We’ll never stop seeing the value of our cabaret.” Johnston’s Late Nite Cabaret at Underground Arts features strip karaoke (audience strip-n-peel encouraged) “Drunk Piano” open mics, comics including Doogie Horner, Brittany Lynn and N.A. Poe) and free pancakes every midnight , Sept. 5-21.
The famed 80-year-old Capt. Jesse’s seafood/fruit spot at 8th and Washington is done, according to owner Jesse Giordano, cousin of the Italian Market’s Giordano Produce where his grandfather “sold barrels of parsley, two cents a bunch.” Jesse says this past winter screwed things up, and he’s ready to close. Though he’d neither confirm or deny, his neighbor, Anastasia’s Seafood, may purchase Capt. Jesse’s if Anastasia’s is razed to make room for a shops-and-condos complex.
You’d think after her year-long Truth About Love tour, Philly-born Alecia Moore, better known as Pink, would rest. But word has her starting You & I, an acoustic duo with Dallas Green (City and Colour) with a secret public live session for David Dye’s WXPN show at World Cafe Live Oct. 6-8.
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- Here's what it's like to fish for your dinner at Zauo NYC (photos) 21 Pictures
- PHOTOS: The best cosplay of NYCC 2018, Day 3 44 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Looking back at Heidi Klum's best Halloween costumes 19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Nightmare Machine, the haunted house for millennials 14 Pictures
- American Music Awards 2018: Red carpet looks, list of winners 23 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Are Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian getting back together? 8 Pictures
- Anne Frank's Diary now comes as a graphic novel 3 Pictures
- Reimagine End of Life celebrates all things death and dying 5 Pictures
- 2018 Emmy Awards: List of winners, red carpet looks 29 Pictures
Seen on the scene
• World Cafe Live’s Friday Free at Noon showcase got a last minute request from chart-topping indie-poppers Spoon, after Sunday’s spot on Made in America, to do a Labor Day gig. Request granted, Spoon sold the joint out in minutes.
• Made in America CEO Jay Z inspected the EDM stage, Kim Kardashian watched husband/headliner Kanye West alongsideKendall Jenner) and Mayor Michael Nutter hung in Live Nation’s VIP garden, looking casual in a baseball cap. Weird MIA fact: Philly’s Museum of Art shuttered rooms and wrapped exhibitions due to vibrations doing minor damage during 2013’s fest. A solution was found in placing sand below each massive speaker.
• Philly soul-hop marrieds Fatin and Aja Dantzler of Kindred The Family Soul just debuted their film, “A Couple Friends,” directed by Will Smith’s bud Jamal Hill, at Pearl Theatre on North Broad. Named for Kindred’s new album, the premiere found Chill Moody and Eboni Joi on the red carpet with Hill and the Dantzlers.