Today is National Tequila Day (hooray!) We're toasting to whomever came up with this essential national holiday with these cocktails:
2 parts Avión Silver or Reposado
1 part fresh lime juice
1/2 part agave nectar
Vigorously combine ingredients in shaker with ice. Fine strain over fresh ice. Garnish with a lime wheel.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
By master mixologist Ramsey Pimentel of the Ritz-Carlton, South Beach
1.5 oz. Don Julio Añejo
0.5 oz. Cointreau
2 oz. homemade sour mix (sugar, fresh lime, lemon juice and egg white) or prepackaged mix
0.5 oz. passion fruit puree
0.5 oz. Thai chili syrup
Combine in a cocktail shaker and serve in a Collins or hurricane glass. Garnish with lime and fresh Thai chili.
Found at RAYMI NYC (43 W. 24th St., 212-929-1200)
1.5 oz. tequila
1 oz. mandarin puree
0.75 oz. rosemary simple syrup
1.5 oz. lime juice
Combine all ingredients and shake. Strain. Garnish with rosemary.
Available at W Hotel NY Downtown
1.5 oz. Casamigos blanco tequila
0.5 oz. Aperol
1 oz. grapefruit juice
0.5 oz. lime juice
0.5 oz. simple syrup
Club soda to fill
Combine all ingredients (except club soda) in a shaker. Shake vigorously and strain over fresh ice. Top with club soda.
Bloody Jalapeno Michelada
Available at Village Pourhouse and sideBAR
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz.tomato juice/bloody mix
1 oz.Sauza Hornitos tequila
0.5 oz.pickled jalapeño juice
1-1.5 oz.Sol beer
Rub the rim of an 8 oz. highball with a lime wedge and dip in kosher salt; fill glass with ice. Add lime juice, tomato juice/bloody mix, Sauza Hornitos tequila and pickled jalapeño juice. Top off with cold Sol beer and stir to combine. If you like, add a bit more pickled jalapeño juice for an extra kick!
Want to get out and celebrate?
Local spots are getting in on the action.
- Chef Alex Garcia's Amigos (2888 Broadway, 212-864-1143) will take $3 off the price of any tequila when you buy a burrito. There are about 20 types of the spirit available, so you've got plenty of options.
- Hudson Common is hosting its first annual Tequila Fest on Saturday afternoon, replete with Mexican street food (tacos!) and cocktails from Don Julio, Avion, Patron and more. Both a live band and a DJ will provide tunes. Get ($40) tickets here.
- Krescendo (364 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn, 718-330-0888) recently kicked off a daily Spirit Hour, where from 5:30-7 p.m., $25 gets you three tastes of a special sprit, plus a specialty cocktail and a Margherita pizza. Any guess to what this week's spirit is? If you said tequila, you're right! PS: Upcoming celebrated spirits include American whiskey (week of July 29) fortified wines (week of Aug. 12) and Italian liqueurs (week of Aug. 26).