Tina Turner is arguably one of the most iconic and best-selling entertainers of the past 50-plus years.
She’s won eight Grammy Awards, appeared in huge films like “Tommy” and “Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome,” was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991 and is known for hit songs like “Proud Mary,” “What’s Love Got to Do with It” and “We Don’t Need Another Hero (Thunderdome).”
The “Queen of Rock ’n’ Roll,” born Anna Mae Bullock in Nutbush, Tenn., on Nov. 26, 1939, got her musical start as part of future husband Ike Turner’s Kings of Rhythm in 1958.
After a string of hits and a tumultuous marriage tinged with domestic abuse and a subsequent divorce, Turner struck out on her own and today remains the eighth best-selling female artist of all time, with more than 180 million records sold worldwide.
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
To honor the Queen, here are seven of her most inspiring quotes in no particular order:
1.“People think my life has been tough, but I think has been a wonderful journey. The older you get, the more you realize it’s not what happens, but how you deal with it.”
2.“I will never give in to old age until I become old. And I’m not old yet!”
3.“My greatest beauty secret is being happy with myself. I don’t use special creams or treatments —I’ll use a little bit of everything. It’s a mistake to think you are what you put on yourself. I believe that a lot of how you look is to do with how you feel about yourself and your life. Happiness is the greatest beauty secret.
4.“Physical strength in a woman — that's what I am.”
5. “My legacy is that I stayed on course ... from the beginning to the end, because I believed in something inside of me.”
6. “Age is no issue to me. I think 50 is the new 30 and 70 is the new 50. There are no rules that say you have to dress a certain way or be a certain way.”
7. “I believe we have a higher level of mentality within us, but we have to use the power in the right way.”