Just because he has a deep love of musical theater, lives in the West Village and has a slightly older wife does not make Hugh Jackman gay. In an in-depth interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the Australian star addressed the gay rumors that constantly swirl around him. "It bugs her," Jackman, 44, said about what his wife of 16 years, Deborra-Lee Furness, 57, reads online.
His "X-Men" producer Lauren Shuler Donner even went on record to talk about Jackman's marriage to Donner. "I have seen him with Deborra since the beginning of their trip to Hollywood, and I've been on five movie sets with him and have never seen him stray, have never seen him eye anyone," she said.
Doth thou protest too much? Who gets their producer on record to talk about the state of their marriage? See? I'm doing it too! Why can't we believe that a handsome, successful matinee idol can be happily in love with someone who doesn't fit into the Hollywood stereotype? Aren't we at the point where he could come out if he wanted to? Or am I just dreaming big here?
Jackman on the roles he auditioned for but passed over for some reason or another:
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
- He was offered Richard Gere's Oscar-nominated role in "Chicago" but decided he was too young for the part.
- He was offered the lead in "Drive" but was hesitant to work with director Nicolas Winding Refn.
- He didn't take on the James Bond franchise as he didn't want to get pigeonholed in action films (because, you know, he is Wolverine). "I thought it would box me in too much," he said.