A Los Angeles jury decided that although entertainment firm AEG had hired Dr. Conrad Murray, the company is ultimately not responsible for Michael Jackson's drug overdose death, reports CNN.
The jury decided that Murray was competent, and thus AEG Live was not liable for Jackson's death in a lawsuit that would have paid out millions of dollars in compensation to Jackson's children. The company's lawyer argued that AEG had no way of knowing that Murray was a risk to Jackson, as his record was clean and he had never been sued for malpractice, reports CNN.
"I counted Michael Jackson a creative partner and a friend," Randy Phillips, CEO of AEG told CNN. "We lost one of the world's greatest musical geniuses, but I am relieved and deeply grateful that the jury recognized that neither I, nor anyone else at AEG Live, played any part in Michael's tragic death."