The owners of a Welsh-themed pub in Brooklyn face a fine of $7,500 after they advertised for staff with a knowledge of the small principality's culture.
Owners Michael Colbert, who's from Wales, and his American wife Jennifer, owners of the Longbow Pub and Pantry, said the advert required a 'specific skill." But the New York Commission of Human Rights ruled the advert was discriminatory.
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 36 Pictures
Wales is not, technically, a country, but a principality of Britain, although national pride burns strongly.
The couple says their pub is the only Welsh boozer in New York City and needed staff who were aware of Welsh language and culture. But they did not specify, or care about, nationality of applicants.
Mrs Colbert told the British Broadcasting Corporation: "The city has to protect the population against discrimination.
"However, in our case it is imperative that our staff understand British culture no matter how that happens.
"Did we write that only British people can apply? Of course we didn't. We are not looking to discriminate based on national origin."
The couple already face a $2,100 bill as part of the conciliation process with the Human Rights Commission, but say that will rise to $7,500 if they fight their case in court, and lose. But they are keen to have their day in court to explain the 'nuance' of the situation.
COULD YOU APPLY? TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF WALES WITH METRO'S EXCLUSIVE QUIZ. (Answers at the foot of the page. No cheating. No Google. We're trusting you on this one)
1. Find Wales on a map (1pt)
2. What is the capital of Wales? (1pt)
3. What's the country's population - to within 10,000 people? (1pt)
4. The Prince of Wales is better known as who? (1pt)
5. The Welsh national anthem has been voted one of the melodic in the world. What is it - in Welsh? (1pt); and in English (1pt)
6. Name three famous Welsh people (1pt each)
7. The patron saint of Wales is? (1pt)
8. A flower and a vegetable are among the national symbols of Wales. Name them (1pt each)
9. The national sport of Wales is? (1pt)
10. A Welsh actress is married to a member of America's acting royalty. Name them both (1pt each)
1. Admit it. You cheated.
4. Prince Charles
7. Saint David
8. Daffodil and leek
9. Rugby Union
10. Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas.