British socialite and TV presenter Peaches Geldof's sudden death was likely due to a heroin overdose, police announced Thursday.
"Recent use of heroin and the levels identified were likely to have played a role in her death,"Detective Chief Inspector Paul Fotheringham said at the inquest.
Geldof had suffered from drug problems in the past, but friends claimed she had been sober for some time before her death. No drugs were found at the scene, but drug evidence may have been removed before police could see it, according to the Times of London.
Geldof's death is a tragic echo of her mother's — Paula Yates also passed away from a heroin overdose in 2000 at the age of 41, when Peaches was just 11 years old. Peaches had reportedly been "obsessed" with her mother's death of late.
Geldof is survived by her husband, musician Tom Cohen, and their two sons, Astala, 1, and Phaedra, 11 months.She was laid to rest ina coffin that featured a painting of her with her young family. Two of the family’s dogs as well as a cat were also included.