Local artists, cyclists and builders will be showing off their skills on Saturday at the Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby.
This year, 26 teams are entering “sculptures” — essentially parade floats on bicycles or any other kind of human-powered vehicle. Steffen Brinkmann, 39, is an architect who developed “The Hungry Caterpillar” with a friend and six children. The sculpture, inspired by the book, is made of eight bikes welded together with the caterpillar on top.
“We had so much fun doing this, but it’s been so hectic because we only started a month ago,” Brinkmann says of their last-minute entry.
Kensington Kinetic Sculpture Derby
Saturday, noon-5 p.m.
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures