A Brockton family lost their home and were rushed to a hospital after a fire Tuesday.
A mother and her two young children were alone in the home when it caught fire around 2:30 a.m., WBZ reported.
Fueled by strong winds, the fire spread quickly, engulfing the entire porch.
“They were very lucky. Another few minutes and they probably wouldn’t have made it,”Brockton Fire Capt. Edward Williams said.
Investigators saidthe fire may have started near the fireplace. The family was alerted to the blaze by smoke detectors.
Family escapes house fire when alerted by smoke detectors sounding.
Photos show the remnants of what is left of detector. CHECK YOURS TODAY! pic.twitter.com/NSlNUUqzCG
— Brockton Fire (@Brockton_Fire) December 27, 2016
The family was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. They are expected to be OK. The Red Cross is assisting the family.