Each bite of this Pizza Stuffed French Toast will give you the gooey taste of pizza in a sandwich. The egg and cheese mixture adds great flavour that kicks up a classic.
10 slices (1/2 inch/1 cm thick) Italian loaf
1/3 cup (80 mL) pizza sauce
35 slices pepperoni
Half green pepper, thinly sliced
3 mushrooms, thinly sliced (optional)
10 slices mozzarella
1/3 cup (80 mL) milk
2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
Pinch each salt and pepper
1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
1. Lay bread slices on work surface and spread with pizza sauce. Top half with 1 slice of the mozzarella, then pepperoni, pepper and mushrooms, if using. Place remaining cheese on top. Top with remaining bread slices; set aside.
2. In shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, cheese, oregano, salt and pepper. Dip sandwiches into egg mixture, turning to soak up the egg mixture.
3. In non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat and cook sandwiches, turning once for about 4 minutes per side or until brown and crisp and cheese is melted.
• Emily Richards is a professional home economist, cookbook author and a tv celebrity chef. For more, visit emilyrichardscooks.ca.
– With files from Ontario Egg Farmers