A Massachusetts activist has started a GoFundMe campaign in the hope of raising millions of dollars to secure video proof that Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump has used racist language—evidence that could shatter his POTUS dream.
Aaron Holman, of Somerville, and a few good friends, opened up the “Trump Sunlight Campaign” on Sunday to raise more than $5 million to acquire the video, which could be buried under contractual fees and NBCnetwork licenses.
Following the explosive leak of Access Hollywood footage of Trump’s predatory, genital-grabbing storytelling, rumors swirled that somewhere out there are even more damaging outtakes from The Apprentice that allegedly contain Trump using the N-word.
“We are so confident that there is something more than nothing out there, and we want to make sure that if there is a person out there worried about legal or financial penalties that we have their back,” Holman told Metro.
Production insiders from the reality show claim Trump has said “much worse” in footage that is contract-protected and have a “leak fee” of $5 million.
“I don’t have the tapes. I’ve signed a Burnett contract & know leak fee is 5 mill. Hearing from producers/crew N word is the “much worse,” tweeted Chris Nee.
Holman set his GoFundMe campaign goal at $5.1 million to cover the potential legal fees and fines a whistleblower might face for releasing protected footage. As of 5 p.m. Monday, the campaign had drawn in about $14,000.
Given the pace of the fund’s growth so far Holman believes they will raise the $5 million by Election Day, and noted that a few high-profile doners have given sizeable sums.
“I think that a lot of people suspect something very large is happening and they want to help find out what that is.”
Even if a someone does not come forward with a tape the money raised will be be used for uncovering the truth, as he pledged to donate unused funds to the Center for Investigative Reporting.
“The next best thing is to continue to support people who are doing good reporting,” Holman said.
The initial rumor of alleged footage started on Sunday on Twitter.
“As a producer on seasons 1 & 2 of #theapprentice I assure you: when it comes to the #trumptapes there are far worse. #justthebegininng,” tweeted Bill Pruitt.
“We don’t have the legal right to give out the footage from that show,” the NBC spokeswoman confirmed.
Aside from typical network protections, the show’s creator Mark Burnett happens to be a Trump supporter and friend—a friend who may be keen to shelter a bombshell that might turn attention to perceived racist undertones of Trump’s campaign.
The GoFundMe has attracted strong positive and negative responses.
“This is so wrong on many levels. I can not believe people are willing to do anything to destroy someone’s life just to win. Why not get off your duff and work at earning a win fairly instead of taking the cowards way and being a sore loser,” said Joy Guyer Weicht.
Despite the negative comments, Holman remained steadfast in his commitment to bringing any significant things from Trump’s past into the light.
“People need to know the character of the people who are running, and I think that tape was a really good level of insight into the character of Donald Trump. I think the more of that the better people will be able to make a decision on their choice,” Holman said.