• 1 lb (500 g) green fettuccine
• 8 oz (250 g) cherry tomatoes
• 2 small Mediterranean (Lebanese) or pickling cucumbers
• 8 oz (250 g) arugula
• 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
• 8 oz (250 g) bocconcini
• black olives for garnish
• 1 cup (250 ml) fresh basil leaves
• 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) pine nuts
• 4 tbsp (60 ml) grated pecorino
• 6 tbsp (90 ml) olive oil
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) vegetable stock
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook pasta in plenty of lightly salted boiling water until al dente, following package instructions. Drain, rinse under cold running water and leave to cool. Cut tomatoes in half. Slice cucumbers in half lengthwise and slice thinly.
2. Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, arugula, onion and pasta in large bowl. Drain bocconcini and mix into salad.
3. To make basil pesto, clean leaves by wiping with paper towel; do not wash. Combine basil, garlic, pine nuts and pecorino in food processor and process finely. Combine oil, lemon juice and stock in small bowl and add to mixture in steady stream with motor running until amalgamated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Stir basil pesto into salad or serve separately. Spoon salad into individual bowls and garnish with olives.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca