Haven’t Gotten Your W-2? Take These Steps – Metro US

Haven’t Gotten Your W-2? Take These Steps

You’re ready to file your taxes — except for one thing: You’re still awaiting an IRS Form W-2 from an employer.

Each January, companies issue W-2s to inform workers, and Uncle Sam, of the amount of money the worker made during the previous year and how much in income, Social Security and Medicare taxes was withheld. If you file without all of your W-2s, it could delay processing of your return — and the arrival of any refund.

Federal law requires employers to send W-2s to workers by Jan. 31 each year, or a few days later if the end of the month falls on a weekend. If you’re still waiting on your earnings statement, here are six steps you can take.

1. Check your calendar

If you’re expecting a refund, you probably want it as soon as possible. But technically, your employer meets the Jan. 31 delivery date requirement as long as it gets your W-2 in the mail by Jan. 31. If your company didn’t drop your W-2 into a U.S. Postal Service box until the very last day of the month, it could still be on its way to you during the first days of February.

» MORE:The fastest way to get your tax refund

2. Search your email

Many companies now giveworkers electronic access to company documents, including tax statements. While most won’t actually email your W-2 because of security concerns, they will send you an email notice that you can go to the company’s employee portal and download your earnings statement. If that message hasn’t appeared in your inbox, check your spam folder.

3. Call your company

If you’re well into February and there’s still no W-2 in your email or snail mail box, it’s time to touch base with your company’s payroll or human resources department. Your employer might have a wrong address for you and your W-2 may have bounced back as undeliverable. In that case, correcting your address and asking your employer to reissue the document can solve the problem.

» MORE: Best tax software of 2017

4. Contact the IRS

If you find yourself deep into February without your W-2, it’s time to get the IRS involved. If your efforts to get a copy from your employer have proved fruitless, call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040. During that call you’ll need:

– Your name, address, phone number and Social Security number.
– Your employer’s name, address and phone number.
– The dates you worked for the employer.
– An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld last year. Your last pay stub of the tax year should have these amounts.

With this information, the IRS will contact your workplace about the missing tax document.

5. File without a W-2

Filing without a W-2 will slow down processing of your return, but that might be preferable to waiting for your company to get you another copy.

It’s also an option if your employer went out of business and you can’t track it down to request W-2 data.In this case, you can submit a Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, with your return. This document asks you to estimate your wages and taxes withheld last year. Again, your final pay stub can help provide these figures.

» MORE: Try NerdWallet’s federal income tax calculator

6. Request more time to file

If you want to wait for your official W-2, you may need to request more time to file your tax return. Filing Form 4868 will give you an automatic extension to file your 1040. Specifically, you’ll have an additional six months, giving you until Oct. 16, 2017, since the normal Oct. 15 deadline is on a Sunday.

An extension only gives you more time to file your tax forms. It is not an extension to pay any tax you owe. You must estimate how much tax you owe and include that amount with Form 4868. Interest and penalties may apply if you pay less than what you actually owe, so take your estimate seriously.

Regardless of which approach you take, file your return or extension request by April 18. If your official earnings statement arrives after you’ve filed your taxes, you can amend your return to reflect the accurate amount.

More from NerdWallet:

The best time to file your tax return
TaxAct vs. TurboTax
1040EZ, 1040A or 1040: Which form to use?

The article Haven’t Gotten Your W-2? Take These Steps originally appeared on NerdWallet.