• 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) olive oil
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
• 8 oz (250 g) lean ground beef
• 8 oz (250 g) lean ground pork
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh bread crumbs
• 1 egg white
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dried oregano
• 1/4 tsp (1 ml) dried basil
• 1 can crushed tomatoes
• 2 onions, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) tomato paste
• 2 tbsp (25 ml) chopped parsley
• 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180ºC). In small frying pan , heat oil over moderate heat. Add garlic and celery and sauté until softened and lightly browned, 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
2. In bowl, combine ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, egg white, oregano and basil. Stir in celery mixture until just combined.
3. Using your hands, shape mixture into 16 meatballs about 1 1/2 in (3.5 cm) across.
4. Spray rack with vegetable oil cooking spray. Place meatballs on rack over baking tray, and bake until well browned on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Transfer to plate and reserve. Meanwhile, in large nonstick frying pan over moderate heat, combine tomatoes, onions and tomato paste and bring to boil. Cover and simmer mixture until slightly thickened, about 12 minutes.
5. Return meatballs to frying pan. Cover and cook until cooked through, 20 minutes. Stir parsley into tomato sauce and season with black pepper.
– For nutritional information on this and other great recipes, go to www.rd.ca