Getting fit shouldn't have to cost a fortune. Luckily, summer in the city means there are plenty of free outdoor fitness classes and activities. From the ever-popular outdoor outdoor yoga classes to free kayaking on the Hudson, here are some of our top picks.
1. Fashion, Fitness, Fabulous's "Get Fit" program: Fashion, Fitness, Fabulous will offer “Get Fit” outdoor boot camps and group fitness activities every Saturday and Sunday starting on June 14. The free activities will be led by celebrity trainers like IFPA Pro Cynthia Rodriguez, trainer and author Jessica Kiernan, TV personality and fitness expert Willy (J.U.I.C.E) Rafeh and former World Super Middleweight Boxing Champion and celebrity trainer Danny Musico. Visit the Fashion, Fitness, Fabulous website for more details.
2. Classes on the Cobbles: The Meatpacking District Improvement association will offer free monthly workout classes from Exhale Spa, Lululemon, Chelsea Piers and Asics. The free outdoor classes, which include Krav Maga, yoga and Zumba, take place on Gansevoort Plaza and start on May 22 and end on Sept. 25. RSVP is recommended.
3. Shaolin Five Animal Kung Fu: Learn kungwebsite.for free in Riverside Park every Saturday from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. These beginner martial arts classes meet at the entrance to Riverside Park at 108th Street; come early to make sure you don't miss the group after they enter the park. More information is available on Shaolin Five Animal Kung Fu's
4. Bryant Park yoga and fitness: Bryant Park offers plenty of free classes, including yoga in the park on Tuesday mornings and Thursday evenings, Pilates classes on Monday mornings and fitness boot camp on Wednesday mornings. For more information and reservations for yoga classes, visit the park's website.
5. Kayaking on the Hudson: Head to the Manhattan Community Boathouse this summer for free kayaking on Saturdays. The walk-up program is first-come, first-served and starts at 10 a.m. The boathouse is located at 72nd St. on the Hudson River.
6. Shape Up Zumba: Get your free Zumba fix at 11 a.m. on Saturdays at West Harlem Piers Park, located on West 125th Street and Marginal Street. The Zumba class is part of a city initiative to bring free fitness classes to New Yorkers in all five boroughs. Find more classes here.
7. Yoga on the Plaza at 66th St.: How about those sunset salutations? You can practice Hatha yoga every Wednesday evening at 6:30 p.m. on the Plaza at 66th St.
8. Cardio classes at Prospect Park: Shape Up New York hosts free cardio, toning and stretching classes at the Audubon Center every Thursday at 10 a.m.
Outdoor Rise: It's not free, but it's only $5 to attend an Outdoor Rise event. Outdoor Rise will host more than 50 events from June 21 to 27, including yoga, stand-up paddle boarding, rock climbing, parkour and plenty more. All proceeds go to the Discover Outdoors Foundation, which gives underprivileged city youths access to outdoor education. Find out more on the Outdoor Rise website.