Here's what piqued our interested this week:
Way cooler than your reflector gear
We're obsessed with Zackees Turn Signal Gloves, which light up when you're ready to make a turn (and are washable!). The nickel-plated steel on the thumb and index fingers mean all you have to do is touch them together to signal a turn. The gloves are $69 on founder Zach Vorhies' Kickstarter page.
Easy way to do good
Did you get a new iPhone over the holidays? You can donate your old one — or a used iPod or iPad — to the non-profit Music & Memory, which uses the electronics to help people with Alzheimer's and dementia recall memories through music. Mail yours (or a donation) to:
- PHOTOS: What's Brewing in Steamy Hallows, the Harry Potter-Inspired Cafe19 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Frida Kahlo at the Brooklyn Museum doesn't hold back23 Pictures
Music & Memory Donations
160 First St., PO Box 590
Mineola, NY 11501
Saturday is the 50th anniversary of the first Surgeon General’s report on smoking and health, which linked cigarette smoking to lung cancer and other diseases. The Surgeon General (that's Dr. Boris D. Lushniak, in case you were wondering) will release a new report next week.
This week's tip comes from Colin Christopher, clinical hypnotherapist and author of the book "Success Through Manipulation: Subconscious Reactions That Will Make or Break You."
Try a little self-hypnosis
Try this three-step self-hypnosis technique to banish negative feelings in seconds. The more you do it, the more it becomes ingrained in your subconscious and becomes second nature.
1. Sit up or stand straight and lift your chin directly toward the ceiling or other high point. This physical movement gives you clarity of thought.
2. Inhale deeply from your diaphragm (stomach area), hold for three seconds, and exhale slowly through your lips, dropping your shoulders as you breathe out.
3. Recite a memorized sentence that will shift your focus back to a positive state of mind. Two examples are: “I am strong, confident and in control” and “I feel good and nothing can bring me down.”