Whether you're heading to a barbecue this July 4th or are hosting one of your own, chances are you have some cooking to do and now that the kids are out of school, it's even harder to have time to yourself so you can get everything done. To save the day, Food52, an online resource that offers recipes, dining inspiration and entertaining necessities, shared this patriotic cake recipe that you and your kids will have fun making together.
- Celebrity deaths 2018: All the stars we lost too soon 44 Pictures
- 10 finalists for TIME Person of the Year 2018 10 Pictures
Red, White and Blue Icebox Cake
Provided by Anna Hezel/Food 52
Author Note:A red velvet icebox cake that you can make ahead, pull out of your freezer when the time comes, and serve with a pile of the season's best blueberries.
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon white vinegar
30 drops of red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup confectioners sugar, divided
Blueberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Measure out the first six ingredients and let your child mix them together. Tell him or her to add salt, flour and cocoa powder and mix it all up. Spread evenly on cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until surface is no longer wet-looking.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, or until the texture has firmed slightly but is still pliable. Cut rectangle of cake in half and cut each half in half, so that you're left with 4 long rectangles. Stack these on top of one another, and trim any uneven edges. You can save these crumbs to sprinkle on top of the cake at the end for decoration. Separate the rectangles and allow to cool thoroughly.
- Cream together cream cheese and half of the confectioners sugar. Let your child whisk heavy cream together with the other half of the confectioners sugar until soft peaks form. Gently fold cream cheese mixture into whipped cream until thoroughly incorporated. Measure out 1/4 of the mixture and tell your son or daughter to spread it evenly over one of the red velvet layers.Add another layer of red velvet and repeat, until you have four layers. Wrap in wax paper and freeze until you are ready to serve.