Colder temperatures mean we're trading our tank tops for coats, scarves and gloves. If you haven't already, now, more than ever, is the perfect time to set up a spot to pile on and peel off these extra layers -- not to mention a place to organize the keys, handbags and mail cluttering your dining room table. Don't have the luxury of a foyer or mudroom? We found some essentials to help fake one.
With all the rainy weather we have, this item is a must. It prevents drippy umbrellas from ruining the floor and saves you the hassle of ever searching for one again. Porcelain Umbrella Stand, $159,
Take one last look before running out the door and you won’t ever get stuck with lipstick on your teeth or toothpaste on your face again. Crate and Barrel Clarendon wall mirror, $149,
Hooks or a coat rack
Those of us who don't have the luxury of a hallway closet need to get creative with hooks or invest in a coat rack. Both take up very little space and prevent the coats-on-the-sofa catastrophe.
Anthropologie Melded Poppies Double Hook, $22, www.anthropologie.com;
West Elm Metal Tipped Coat Rack, $160, www.westelm.com
- PHOTOS: New art and old relics at Mickey Mouse's NYC gallery 25 Pictures
- PHOTOS: See Yes on 3 supporters react to historic transgender rights Question 3 win 11 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
- PHOTOS: A look at Idris Elba's style through the years 20 Pictures
- PHOTOS: Heidi Klum's annual Halloween party and other amazing celebrity costumes 17 Pictures
- These are the spookiest cities per capita in the U.S. 5 Pictures
- Food Network star talks pumpkin carving 1 Pictures
- Who is Alexander Edwards, Amber Rose's new boyfriend? 9 Pictures
- Is Cardi B pregnant again? This tweet has people guessing 6 Pictures
- Natural Museum's best wildlife photos of the year 5 Pictures
Shelf, console or even dresser
No matter what kind of space you're working with, you need a spot to stash mail, keys, sunglasses and more. If you don't have any type of foyer, a shelf or super skinny console next to your door is perfect for holding the essentials -- as well as some welcoming pick-me-ups like picture frames and candles.
If you're lucky enough to have a passageway, a dresser or unit with drawers is ideal. Use the cubbies to store and hide clutter. Urban Outfitters Modern Wall Shelf, $22 and Reclaimed Wood Chalkboard shelf, $49 each, www.urbanoutfitters.com
You need to park it to pull off boots and strappy heels. Bonus: most benches come with extra storage space below. Pottery Barn Samantha Entry Bench, $399,