Creamy tomato soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- PHOTOS: A look back at Queen performing in the 1970s and 1980s 22 Pictures
- All of these celebrities have had their nudes leaked 35 Pictures
1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes in their juices, preferably San Marzano
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Heat oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once butter foams, add onion and a big pinch of salt. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is completely soft and just beginning to brown, about 15 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and juices to the pan and stir to crush up tomatoes. Add broth or water and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Simmer until tomatoes begin to fall apart, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, discard bay leaves, and allow soup to cool slightly. Carefully puree soup in a blender until smooth (you may have to do this in batches). Return soup to the stove over low heat and stir in cream. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.